quesIs wife entitled to gratuity after serving 30 years in a school?

My wife is retired teacher from CBSE affiliated society run private school at Rohtak after serving the school for 30 years. Is she eligible to receive gratuity? The school is in Haryana and the same society runs 14 institutions - four of which are Govt. aided and funded. She has requested the school to pay the gratuity at present i.e. at the time of retirement.


The school is being administered by the DC as the society was superseded by the government and the administration of the society. Is she eligible for gratuity?


  • ans


    Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Act, 2009 was enforced on 31.12.2009 where after all the teachers have been included within the ambit of employee for the purposes of Gratuity Act.


    Before this amendment, the Supreme Court had held that teachers were not within the purview of employee and therefore could not claim gratuity, but this situation has changed after the commencement of this Amendment.


    Hence, your wife can claim payment of gratuity from the School under this Act.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Labour & Service lawyers in India

Similar questions

My husband is in central govt. job. We r going to purchase a property where…
I had join one pvt ltd logistics company in Aug 16 with a termination clause…
I used to work for 14-15hrs on m9st of the days without any renumeration for…
I have been working since last 7+ years with a company. They moved me from…

Labour & Service Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Sunil Dalal

  New Friends Colony
 Experience: 20 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly