quesHow to claim the retrenchment package after being laid off?

I have been retrenched by my company without being provided a retrenchment package. Do I have a claim? Please advise.


  • ans


    The procedure of retrenchment has been given under Section 25G of the Industrial Disputes Act. Section 25F of the Act provides mandatory conditions for retrenchment of workers. Any workman working in a firm for 240 days or more in the previous 12 months can in principle claim retrenchment compensation.


    So Firstly you need to check whether you fall within the definition of 'workman' as given in Section 2(s) of the Industrial Disputes Act. If you fall within the same then you are entitled to claim retrenchment compensation.


    You should send them a legal notice claiming retrenchment compensation within 30 days and if the same is not paid then, you can file a written complaint to the Labour Commissioner under whose jurisdiction your company falls claiming the non-payment of retrenchment compensation as the same shall fall within the definition of "Industrial Dispute".


  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Labour & Service lawyers in India

Similar questions

A, the custodian of assessments at XYZ summons B,employee of XYZ, to her desk, and…

I have started my work as contractual employee in the company for 3 months i…

Dear sir/mam, I already resigned on 21-11-2016 and my last working day is 20-12-2016, and…
I am working with one of the leading life insurance company in India. Since joining…

Labour & Service Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Vipin Kumar Malhotra

  Saket Court Complex
 Experience: 18 years

Advocate Sunil Dalal

  New Friends Colony
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Vivek Mapara

  Suramya Complex
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly