Company giving bonus with a imposed condition. Can they do that?
My company is giving me an extra bonus of 1 lakh for good performance for financial year 2013. However they are mentioning that if I leave organization within March 2015, I will have to pat back that money in final settlement.
They are taking back a signed-off letter for this statement. Can this be challenged if I leave at any time in the coming year.
In private contracts, the Court generally refrain from interfering with the same unless the same is proved to be arbitrary or having unreasonable condition.
When it comes to employment bonds, the Companies incur a loss and therefore are entitled to claim compensation and this compensation has to be reasonable. Usually, the court determines the reasonable compensation amount by computing the actual loss incurred by the employer having regard to all circumstances of the case.
Even if the bond stipulates payment of any penalty amount in the event of breach, it does not mean that the employer shall be entitled to receive the stipulated amount in full as compensation on the occurrence of such default; rather the employer shall be entitled only for reasonable compensation as determined by the court.
Therefore, if you quit before March 2015, you can challenge this provision in the competent court and the court shall determine as to whether the payment of the entire bonus amount of Rs. 1 lakh can be claimed by the Company as the compensation for the loss incurred by them due to your resignation.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Do I need to have my Will registered?
- Cheque issue by a person, bounced twice. What can I do now?
- How is the partition land shared between married daughters and sons
- Separated from 1 year how can we proceed for divorce
- does the mother have any right on property?