quesBank froze father's a/c due to non repayment of loan

I took a loan in 2001 but i could not find a job that could give me much to repay the loan. My mother was repaying the loan on my behalf since she was the guarantor. She passed away a few months back, thus the bank froze my father's account. I don't live with my father. Can the bank really freeze the account like that. I still don't have enough money to pay the bank.

• ansIf your father is not the guarantor and if the said account is not a joint account with your mother, then the Bank cannot freeze his account. In fact, the Bank can not freeze any account. They can appropriate the amount lying in the said account for realization of dues, if permitted.

If in case, your father has got some property/asset from your mother, then the bank can recover that.

Your father can challenge the action of bank and seek defreezing.