INDIAN KANOON SECTION 498 IPC - Indian Penal Code - Enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman
Whoever takes or entices away any woman who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of any other man, from that man, or from any person having the care of her on behalf of that man, with intent that she may have illicit intercourse with any person, or conceals or detains with that intent any such woman, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.
Applicable OffencesEnticing or taking away or detaining with a criminal intent a married woman
Punishment - 2 Years and Fine
This is a Bailable, Non-Cognizable offence and triable by Any Magistrate
This offence is compoundable by The husband of the woman and the woman IPCChapter XXAS. 498 A.
1.If an offence is cognizable, police has the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and to start an investigation with or without the permission of a court. Otherwise police does not have the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and an investigation cannot be initiated without a court order.
2.If an offience is bailable, police has the authority to release the accused on bail on getting the defined surety amount along with a duly filled bail bond at the concerned police station. Otherwise arrested person has to apply for bail before a magistrate or court
3. If an offence is compoundable, a compromise can be done between the accused and the victim, and a trial can be avoided. Otherwise, No compromise is allowed between the accused and the victim except under certain situations, where the High Court or the Supreme Court have the authority for quashing a matter.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How to get the original certificates from employer
- whether a case can be filed at DEO office that is also a court
- Cancelled my admission from a coaching institute how can I get refund
- How to file for divorce if living separately for 2 years
- Punishment for second marriage