INDIAN KANOON SECTION 420 IPC - Indian Penal Code - Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property
Whoever cheats and thereby dishonestly induces the person deceived to deliver any property to any person, or to make, alter or destroy the whole or any part of a valuable security, or anything which is signed or sealed, and which is capable of being converted into a valuable security, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.
Applicable OffencesCheating and there by dishonestly inducing delivery of property, or the making, alteration or destruction of a valuable security
Punishment - 7 Years + Fine
This is a Non-Bailable, Cognizable offence and triable by Magistrate First Class
This offence is compoundable by The person cheated, with the permission of the Court .
1.If an offence is cognizable, police has the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and to start an investigation with or without the permission of a court. Otherwise police does not have the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and an investigation cannot be initiated without a court order.
2.If an offience is bailable, police has the authority to release the accused on bail on getting the defined surety amount along with a duly filled bail bond at the concerned police station. Otherwise arrested person has to apply for bail before a magistrate or court
3. If an offence is compoundable, a compromise can be done between the accused and the victim, and a trial can be avoided. Otherwise, No compromise is allowed between the accused and the victim except under certain situations, where the High Court or the Supreme Court have the authority for quashing a matter.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- What is the procedure to change name in birth certificate?
- In laws took daughter along. Now asking huge amount of money.
- Punished Under IPC section 60 will this effect my career
- Flat in society do I have to take permission from the society?
- Negligence of doctor during delivery causing cerebral palsy in child