INDIAN KANOON SECTION 356 IPC - Indian Penal Code - Assault or criminal force in attempt to commit theft of property carried by a person
Whoever assaults or uses criminal force to any person, in attempting to commit theft on any property which that person is then wearing or carrying shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.
Applicable OffencesAssault or criminal force in attempt to commit theft of property worn or carried by a person
Punishment - 2 Years or Fine or Both
This is a Bailable, Cognizable offence and triable by Any Magistrate
This offence in NOT compoundable.
1.If an offence is cognizable, police has the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and to start an investigation with or without the permission of a court. Otherwise police does not have the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and an investigation cannot be initiated without a court order.
2.If an offience is bailable, police has the authority to release the accused on bail on getting the defined surety amount along with a duly filled bail bond at the concerned police station. Otherwise arrested person has to apply for bail before a magistrate or court
3. If an offence is compoundable, a compromise can be done between the accused and the victim, and a trial can be avoided. Otherwise, No compromise is allowed between the accused and the victim except under certain situations, where the High Court or the Supreme Court have the authority for quashing a matter.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Child custody what charges for extra marital with partner
- How to withdraw property case
- Brother took property forcefully by my parents now can I take action
- Shareholders not performing partition or demarcation, what to do
- Harassment by daughter in law what can I do