INDIAN KANOON SECTION 354 IPC - Indian Penal Code - Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty
Whoever assaults or uses criminal force to any woman, intending to outrage or knowing it to be likely that he will there by outrage her modesty, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which shall not be less than one year but which may extend to five years, and shall also be liable to fine1.
1 Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013
Applicable OffencesAssault or use of criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty
Punishment - 1 to 5 years + Fine
This is a Non-bailable, Cognizable offence and triable by Any Magistrate
This offence in NOT compoundable.
1.If an offence is cognizable, police has the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and to start an investigation with or without the permission of a court. Otherwise police does not have the authority to arrest the accused without a warrant and an investigation cannot be initiated without a court order.
2.If an offience is bailable, police has the authority to release the accused on bail on getting the defined surety amount along with a duly filled bail bond at the concerned police station. Otherwise arrested person has to apply for bail before a magistrate or court
3. If an offence is compoundable, a compromise can be done between the accused and the victim, and a trial can be avoided. Otherwise, No compromise is allowed between the accused and the victim except under certain situations, where the High Court or the Supreme Court have the authority for quashing a matter.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can husband withdraw from mutual divorce?
- Quashing of 498a
- What is the procedure to file for visitation right to meet daughter?
- Wife not coming to matrimonial home and asking money for compensation
- False domestic violence case filed against my mother what can I do.