How to file and register an FIR online
Initially the prospect of registering an FIR in a police station would make people break into sweat as the process was considered tedious and the fear of police harassment. When you approach the police station, you are required to file First Information Report (FIR) or a complaint. This document record’s the complainant’s perspective on the crime committed. The procedure for filing an FIR is mentioned under Section 154 of Criminal Procedure Code, 1973.
For police, earlier the process of registering of an FIR for each case would take up a lot of time and energy of the staff. Most police stations are understaffed and overburdened with paperwork, so basic public response and courtesy get overlooked, leading to people complaining of police rudeness and apathy.
Now the police department in different states have introduced online system to register FIR, check status and track stolen vehicle online. This saves time, money and most of all, is free of any harassment and with a large percentage of FIRs now being filed online, the police staff has been freed of public pressure which in turn ensures a better FIR follow up and quicker response to complaints filed.
DelhiStep 1- Go to Delhi Police Official Website.
Step 2- At the home many things will be given like helpline no., lost report, Women safety app, Police clearance certificate, Character verification report. Delhi police online FIR registration for lost articles or documents you have to go to the option ‘Lost & Found’.
Step 3 - Below the ‘Lost Report,’ four options will be given- 1. Retrieve 2. Register 3. Search found articles 4. FAQ. Select the option ‘Register’.
Step 4- A whole new page will be opened for Delhi police online FIR registration. You have to fill up the blanks with your personal details as well as your lost article’s details. The following options will be there-
- Complainant’s Name- Fill the name of the person who wants to lodge the E-FIR.
- Father’s/Mother’s Name- Fill the complainant’s parents name.
- Complainant’s Address- Where the complainant is residing (Required full address).
- Complainant’s Mobile number- Complainant’s working mobile number.
- Complainant’s email ID- it will be needed because a copy of your e-FIR will be sent to you via email for verification.
- Place of Loss in Delhi- Fill the particular details about where your article was lost in Delhi.
- Date of Loss- If you don’t know the date, then you fill it with a guess but the filling of month and year is mandatory.
- Time of Loss- If you remembered the time of loss then fill it. However, it is not mandatory.
- Lost Articles- Fill the name of the article you have lost.
- Description- The basic details of the lost article.
- ADD- by clicking on ADD the details will be attached in the file.
- Any Other Details- Any other specific detail you want to highlight then fill it in this blank.
Step 5- Fill the Code given after all the above details.
Step 6- Recheck the details and click ‘Submit’ button.
Step 7- Now check your email ID for you will receive a copy of your e-FIR in PDF form in your inbox. Take a print out of that report.
MumbaiStep 1: Go to the Official Website of Mumbai Police
Step 2: Fill up the Mumbai Police Complaint Form
Please note that your Email Address will be used to get an OTP (One-time Password) which will be used to authorized to finally accept your Complaint. Please click on the ‘Submit’ button once you finish filling up the complaint form.
Following information need to be submitted in the complaint form
- Police station name
- Complaint type
- Postal code
- Phone No
- Email id
- Authorised code
- Your complaint
Step 3: Making a Note of your Complaint Number/ FIR Number
As soon as you click on Submit, your Complaint Number/FIR Number will be generated. Please make a note of your Complaint Number for all future references.
KolkataStep 1 – Go to the Official Website of Kolkata Police
Step 2 – Go to the “Report a crime” menu
Step 3 – Fill the information asked in the menu
- Details about the crime
- Police Station
- E – Mail
- Security code
Step 4 – Hit on the send button. Your complaint will be registered with Kolkata Police. You will receive an e-mail confirmation to your email account.
ChennaiStep 1 - Visit the Official Website of Tamil Nadu Police Station.
Step 2 - Choose the option information if you want to file FIR, or choose the option complaints if you want to file a police complaint online, from the online services box.
Step 3 - File FIR/complaint accordingly.
These guides are not legal advice, nor a substitute for a lawyer
These articles are provided freely as general guides. While we do our best to make sure these guides are helpful, we do not give any guarantee that they are accurate or appropriate to your situation, or take any responsibility for any loss their use might cause you. Do not rely on information provided here without seeking experienced legal advice first. If in doubt, please always consult a lawyer.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Where to give complaint letter against police for misusing his power
- Punishment for robbery.
- What is the procedure to file for a child custody
- Shop is with tenant for last 40 years can landlord ask it back
- Court ordered to pay is it possible to pay in instalments