×

quesImmigration to India

My friend was born in India. He has the birth certificate mentioning the name of the Indian hospital, where he was born, along with the date. Few years after his birth, he started staying with the family of his maternal uncle in Bangladesh, though his parents continued staying in India. As a result, all his education was completed in Bangladesh only.

Presently he is having his MBBS degree from Dhaka University. But his parents want to bring him back to India. As his parents are Indian citizens and he also has a birth certificate, issued by State Municipality, is it legally possible for him to acquire Indian citizenship? Just for your information, his religious belief is Hinduism.

• ansAny person born in India on or after 26 January 1950, but prior to the commencement of the 1986 Act on 1 July 1987, is a citizen of India by birth. A person born in India on or after 1 July 1987 is a citizen of India if either parent was a citizen of India at the time of the birth.

Those born in India on or after 3 December 2004 are considered citizens of India only if both of their parents are citizens of India or if one parent is a citizen of India and the other is not an illegal migrant at the time of their birth. When did he born in India? At present is he having Bangladeshi citizenship?