quesRelatives not returning our father's death certificate. How to get it?

I am from Singapore and my father unfortunately passed away in his relative house in India. Now we want his death certificate but his relatives refuse to give it to us because they think that we are going to get a lot of money in Singapore upon getting the death certificate. But actually we need it for a lot of purposes in Singapore.


We have tried calling them and they keep on saying they will send it back to us the following month but we have not received any letter so far. It is one year already.


Sometimes they don't even answer our call. Can I know how to deal with this?


  • ans


    The proper recourse for you is to apply for a copy of the Death Certificate in the Registrar of Births and Deaths of the place where the death had occurred. The copy of the Certificate can be obtained easily by paying a nominal fee for the same.


    The following documents are required when the death is registered at the Registrar:


    a.       Duly filled Death reporting form by head of the family or relatives. 

    b.      Original cremation ground receipt. 

    c.       Certificate of Doctor. 

    d.       Residence proof like ration card, voter identity card.


    But as you have stated the Death has already been registered and the Death Certificate has been issued, these documents might not be needed.


    In your case, you may apply for a copy of the death certificate, wherein you will have to fill the an Application form which is usually available with the area’s local body authorities, or with the Registrar who maintains the Register of Deaths. However we suggest that you keep the above mentioned documents handy as well because the rules and procedure for obtaining the death certificate differs from state to state and therefore, few other documents and information might also be needed to be filed along with the application form.


    With respect to obtaining the death certificate from your relatives, it is a cumbersome process as they being relatives are equally entitled to obtain the death certificate as much as you being the deceased’s son are. Therefore, we suggest the proper course is to apply for a copy of the death certificate as suggested above.


    Now if it is difficult for you to come to India to collect the death certificate yourself, you also have an option of authorising someone on your behalf to collect the same. For this you shall have to execute an Authority Letter in the name of that person whom you want to authorise to collect the certificate on your behalf.


    Kindly let us know if you would like to avail our services to obtain the death certificate on your behalf.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Family lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hello I am 26 years old. My dad has a psychological problem since..... years and…
My sister's husband has extra marital relations and will have baby from that lady bit…
My father and his brother executed a notarized family settlement deed on the basis of…
I have two sisters both are married still they get share in my father property

Family Lawyers in India

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Ayantika Mondal

 Experience: 8 years

Advocate Namrata Jayakar

 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly