How to get my well settled brother to take care of our elderly mother?
My brother doesn’t wish to take care of our elderly mother. Is there any law by which I can force him to take care of our mother?
He has a well settled job in Banglore.
Your mother can make application under maintenance and welfare of senior citizens act 2007.
Another application can be made under Section 125 Cr.P.C.
It provides in-expensive and speedy procedure to claim monthly maintenance for parents and senior citizens.
This Act casts obligations on children to maintain their parents. Such application for maintenance can be filed by the senior citizen or a parent himself, or if such person is incapable, then by any other person or any registered organisation authorised by him.
The Tribunal can also suo motu(by itself) take cognizance of the case. After receiving the application the Tribunal may issue notice to the respondent-children/relative and provide them time to furnish their reply.
Such application for maintenance should be disposed of within 90 days from the date of service of notice of application to the respondent.
However, the Tribunal can extend time for a maximum period of 30 days in exceptional circumstances after recording reason. The Tribunal is having power to allow interim maintenance pending disposal of the case.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Cleared govt exam later disqualified saying not eligible for exam
- currently serving in navy can i apply for SPSC in officer rank
- Procedure for emancipation at the age of 23
- Dismissed from service for making complaint against senior
- I can came share in property in my maternal ancestral property