quesCan father's property be attached for recovery of gold of my wife?

My father has 2 sons, me being the elder one. He started harassing my wife and me, just after my marriage. He took all my wife’s gold and stated that he will not give me anything. If I file a complaint that my father took all my wife’s gold and now he’s not giving it back, will his property be attached and will I get at least the property for the gold which is taken by him?

• ansYour spouse can file a case against Domestic Violence Act against your father and she can also file a case under 498 IPC. Your spouse has the right over her stree dhan but she cannot claim anything out of the self acquired property of your father. Your father can will it to anybody at his pleasure and discretion. Kindly clarify whether the property is ancestral or your father’s self acquired property for us to assist you better.