Can a married daughter claim marriage expenses from her parents
My sister got married against the wishes of my parents. My parents therefore did not make any contribution financially towards her marriage.
Now they are marrying of one of my other sisters with a lot of pomp and show.
Can my first sister claim her marriage expense from my parents?
Well, first and foremost it is important to understand that the only claim your sister can make shall be against any ancestral property in the hands of your father or against the proceeds of such ancestral property.
Your father has the exclusive right to dispose of his self acquired property as well as money in whatever manner he likes and is no way legaly bound to contribute towards your first sister's marriage.
Moreover, any marriage celebration related expense or cost of other articles can not be forced upon the girl's parents as this would amount to dowry which is specifically prohibited under the Indian Penal Code.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Eligibility to claim gratuity after completing 5 years in an MNC
- Brother and his wife torturing parents to throw them out of the house
- House built by elder brother can younger brother claim equal share
- Not able to get maintenance have 2 kids what to do?
- How to cancel the offer for sale after receiving the token money ?