quesCan a married daughter claim marriage expenses from her parents

My sister got married against the wishes of my parents. My parents therefore did not make any contribution financially towards her marriage.

Now they are marrying of one of my other sisters with a lot of pomp and show.

Can my first sister claim her marriage expense from my parents?

• ansWell, first and foremost it is important to understand that the only claim your sister can make shall be against any ancestral property in the hands of your father or against the proceeds of such ancestral property.

Your father has  the exclusive right to dispose of his self acquired property as well as money in whatever manner he likes and is no way legaly bound to contribute towards your first sister's marriage. 

Moreover, any marriage celebration related expense or cost of other articles can not be forced upon the girl's parents as this would amount to dowry which is specifically prohibited under the Indian Penal Code.