quesCalling off the marriage.

I was engaged to a girl who holds PR from UK about an year ago.Things couldn't work out great between us and now we are on the verge of breaking this engagement. The girl was taken back after a week from the engagement to UK and all we we had was tense moments on phone/ chat all this time since then. We know that all the gifts and money that were exchanged at the ceremony are to be returned.

Can I be advised on the fact that out of the various expenses which they are imposing on us, which of them are we legally and justly liable to pay, considering the fact that calling off the engagement is a mutual decision of both the parties. Are they being fair if they are charging flight expenses from UK to India? Are we liable to pay full expenses of catering and marriage palace services offered by the girl's side at the time of engagement? Also the girl's side are not planning to return any money and gold that we gifted to them. can they legally do that?

  • ansIn case engagement is called off all gifts exchanged between parties have to be returned. You can insist that your fiancee retruns all the cash and gold ornaments gifted to her and her family. Prepare list of gifts which had been given to her family and insist that they return the same. Don't break off the engagement , inform your fiancee that you are willing to proceed with marriage but if they want to call off the engagement you have no objection to the same. In case, it is a mutual decision all expenses incurred should be split equally among the parties. Amicable settlement is best option, you are not bound to pay their air ticket expenses, only catering , palace service expenses should be split equally.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Family lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi, I am 19 year old.I am living sperate from my family from last month.now…
I am a hindu and I married a girl.I took her to home and My…
My wife is living in my home with my parents.. she insits me to find…
All these years, I was using my maternal name "Priyanka Nale" for all official and…

Family Lawyers in India

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Ayantika Mondal

 Experience: 8 years

Advocate Namrata Jayakar

 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly