Aunt fleecing money from my husband.
My husbands aunt named Jyothi (mothers sister) is staying in Karkala, Mangalore; in ancestral house. She is a widow with a daughter. She earns her livelihood by selling milk. This house belongs to my husbands grandmother, hence shared by the 4 daughters i.e. my mother in law and her 3 sisters. As the house was very old, they decided to rebuild the same. All the family members including other relatives, i.e. 2 sisters of the grandmother, were required to share for this house building expenses, as they pray to family deity in that house. As this was not being finalised soon, Jyothi wanted to build a temperary house as she says that if the new house is being build where do I stay. So, she asked my husband for Rs.2.20 lacs, which my husband gave her last year.
This year they have begun building the house. After all the collections from all sources she has collected nearly 10.75 lacs. Still she has collected Rs.6.00 lacs from my husband without my knowledge nor my mother in law. Now when I ask for the money she says nothing has been spent on her house. He has spent all the money on the compound and she is abusing me. I am going made. We are salaried people. I have been trying to buy a house since last 6-7 years. But since my husband is not in the habit of saving, we had to postpone it. In all, my husband has given her nearly 8.5 lacs by cheque and nearly 70-80 thousand in cash. My husband is not co-operating.
He says this house belongs to my grandmother and I am going to build that house. I have spoken to the Contractor who has told that the total budget for the house is Rs.12.00 lacs. She already has nearly 16.75 lacs and 1.00 is expected from one of the relative. So, even after construction, she will be left with 5.75 lacs Please tell me : 1. Do I have legal recourse to get back the money, if she still has it in her bank a/c. Can I send her a legal notice for the same. 2. As a wife, do I have a higher right on my husbands money. Can he just give it away to anyone without informing me. 3. Whether I can bring a stay on the construction of the house. I am a working woman with a 3 year old child. I am in total distress. Please help me.
Since it is ancestral house and your husband has emotional attachment to the house he is contributing for repair of the house . it is your husband money. You cannot ask his aunt to refund the money. You cannot bring any stay on construction of house. Your husband does not need your permission to gift portion of his income to his family members.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Planning to buy floor under GPA will there be any problem in future?
- Builder taken booking amount but they haven't got project approved?
- Sister is a victim of domestic violence what action can i take
- Cancelled my booking how can i recover the amount from builder
- Can I ask for reimbursement of service tax paid to government