quesAunt fleecing money from my husband.

My husbands aunt named Jyothi (mothers sister) is staying in Karkala, Mangalore; in ancestral house. She is a widow with a daughter. She earns her livelihood by selling milk. This house belongs to my husbands grandmother, hence shared by the 4 daughters i.e. my mother in law and her 3 sisters. As the house was very old, they decided to rebuild the same. All the family members including other relatives, i.e. 2 sisters of the grandmother, were required to share for this house building expenses, as they pray to family deity in that house. As this was not being finalised soon, Jyothi wanted to build a temperary house as she says that if the new house is being build where do I stay. So, she asked my husband for Rs.2.20 lacs, which my husband gave her last year.

This year they have begun building the house. After all the collections from all sources she has collected nearly 10.75 lacs. Still she has collected Rs.6.00 lacs from my husband without my knowledge nor my mother in law. Now when I ask for the money she says nothing has been spent on her house. He has spent all the money on the compound and she is abusing me. I am going made. We are salaried people. I have been trying to buy a house since last 6-7 years. But since my husband is not in the habit of saving, we had to postpone it. In all, my husband has given her nearly 8.5 lacs by cheque and nearly 70-80 thousand in cash. My husband is not co-operating.

He says this house belongs to my grandmother and I am going to build that house. I have spoken to the Contractor who has told that the total budget for the house is Rs.12.00 lacs. She already has nearly 16.75 lacs and 1.00 is expected from one of the relative. So, even after construction, she will be left with 5.75 lacs Please tell me : 1. Do I have legal recourse to get back the money, if she still has it in her bank a/c. Can I send her a legal notice for the same. 2. As a wife, do I have a higher right on my husbands money. Can he just give it away to anyone without informing me. 3. Whether I can bring a stay on the construction of the house. I am a working woman with a 3 year old child. I am in total distress. Please help me.

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ansSince it is ancestral house and your husband has emotional attachment to the house he is contributing for repair of the house . it is your husband money. You cannot ask his aunt to refund the money. You cannot bring any stay on construction of house. Your husband does not need your permission to gift portion of his income to his family members.

    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    Consult best Family lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    We have submitted the registration papers in the municipal committee of Yamunanagar of our plot…
    I am Hindu Brahmin & chemical engineer from Bokaro, Jharkhand; working in private firm, I…
    My grandmother has a propety where i m living now and my grand mother is…
    Hi, My parents are being ill treated and have humiliated my elder brother & his…

    Family Lawyers in India

    Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

      Shree Ram Nagar
     Experience: 11 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    Advocate Ayantika Mondal

     Experience: 8 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly