What is the procedure to adopt a child? I am married.
I need details on how to go for an adoption of a baby. I have been married for last five years, and due to my health issues I am unable to conceive. However, we really want to have a baby. So my family and I have decided to adopt a baby.
Please help us with the process and also if possible suggest us with some good organisations which are currently involved in similar social welfare activities.
First we would suggest that you check your eligibility with respect to the adoption on this link:
The procedure for adoption is as follows:
i. Firstly, prospective adoptive parents should register with the local licensed Adoption Agency or Adoption Coordinating Agency. Your interest in adoption is ascertained at this stage.
ii. A home study of the prospective parents is conducted by the social worker of the agency. To allay your fears and apprehensions, pre-adoptive counseling sessions are undertaken by the social worker. For the social worker, assessing the ability of the couple to parent a child not born to them is of crucial importance. Therefore, the couple’s suitability to care for an unrelated child is ensured through this home study.
iii. After the initial survey, prospective adoptive parents should submit documents related to their financial and health status to the agency.
iv. A child is then shown to the parents. If desired by the parents, the agency takes care to match a child meeting the desired description.
v. The agency files a petition for obtaining the necessary orders under relevant Act once a successful matching has been done. In some cases, the child may also be placed in pre-adoption foster care with adoptive parents.
vi. Fees, as prescribed by the Government, will be charged by the licensed adoption agency for maintenance and legal cost.
vii. The above process is normally completed in 6-8 weeks once the child has been matched with the parents. There are regular follow-up visits and post-adoption counseling by the social worker till the child adjusts in his/her new environment.
You can obtain the list of adoption agencies on this link:
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can I file case under SC Atrocities Act false complaint by manager
- Is online selling of adult toys legal in India
- Is it legal to start a online business providing detective services
- Is leave and license agreement valid in Dehradun for eleven months
- Unauthorised possession of my land