quesWhat is the procedure to add a surname to my existing name?

Hi I want to add 'Khanna' after my name i.e. I want my name to be XYZ Singh Khanna. For this, please let me know all the formalities. Also, please tell me if there can be any hassles in doing so, as my degrees and certificates carry the name- XYZ Singh.

  • ans

    Do you have any specific reason to add Khanna?

    If you do not belong to this caste then it is suggested  that you should not do the same.

    However in case you belong, then you will have to give an affidavit stating the reason . Thereafter give the publication in two newspaper in english and Hindi.Furthermore, you visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein).You need to send the following documents to the Secretary,

    Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State)

    The complication is that in your 12 or 10th marksheet you cannot change the surname and while filing a GOVT application form for job, you might have problems. Rest based on the Gazette notification the name on your  id proof, passport can be changed.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Documentation lawyers in India

Documentation Lawyers in India

Advocate Vishal V Birajdar

  Andheri West
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Anuj Aggarwal

  Model Town, Phase 3
 Experience: 13 years

Advocate Pratap Kumar

 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly