What is procedure to change my surname?
I wish to change my surname. What is the procedure for the same? I have crossed the age of 18yrs.
You will have to make an affidavit and get the same notarized or signed by your local SDM. The affidavit must mention the current surname and desired surname and briefly mention the reason for change of surname. Once the surname notarized or signed by your local SDM, it comes in force immediately.
Thereafter you are required to publish your change of surname in a newspaper one official language and one in English.
This is required as per law, so if anyone has objection they can take it up with authority.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Judgement of appellate court to be challenged in criminal revision
- Can company take legal action if I don't serve legal notice
- Girl threatening to kill herself if I don't marry her
- Filed criminal case but charge sheet not yet filed what can I do
- how to initiate proceedings against threats made for extorting money