What is procedure to change my surname?
I wish to change my surname. What is the procedure for the same? I have crossed the age of 18yrs.
You will have to make an affidavit and get the same notarized or signed by your local SDM. The affidavit must mention the current surname and desired surname and briefly mention the reason for change of surname. Once the surname notarized or signed by your local SDM, it comes in force immediately.
Thereafter you are required to publish your change of surname in a newspaper one official language and one in English.
This is required as per law, so if anyone has objection they can take it up with authority.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How is the property distributed is registered in brother's name
- Bank is delaying to return security after loan repayment
- How to take advantage of section 24 of the new LARR Act 2013.
- Society not allowing me to use my choice of internet service provider
- Landlord forcing to vacate the premises before notice period