quesWhat is procedure for name change?

What is the procedure for name change? How can i change my name now? I am above 18 years now.

  • ans

    You need to advertise change of name in one of the daily local leading newspaper stating therein father’s/Husband’s name along with residential address. Most of NEWSPAPER advertising agencies have standard format with them.

    You need an affidavit duly attested by first class Magistrate/Notary/Oath Commissioner showing therein full details of father’s/husband’s name along with residential address before taking oath in the affidavit 

    In case of individuals working with Central Govt. they may submit deed for change of name in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs O.M. No. - 190016/1/87-Estt. Dated 12.03.1987. In case of Indians, living abroad, he/she will submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy/Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.

    You need to write your personal details (old name, new name, Father’s name, permanent address and the name of your employer on a blank sheet of paper). Which must be signed by you in presence of two witnesses and witnesses also need to sign on the same paper.

    After completing aforesaid formalities you need to send all these documents to “Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, of your State or you can visit the department in person. Here is the list of documents which you need to send, the original advertisement published in the newspaper, original declaration statement, attested affidavit and 2 passport size photographs & the Printing fee of gazette.

    Within a month you will get the official copy of Gazette which will be proof of your new identity. Note: The documents submitted in Department will not be returned in any circumstances, neither original nor Xerox copy.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Documentation lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi.I need to know is there any problem of the address which should be same…
My brother in law had signed an MOU with his business partner for dissolution of…
Dear lawyer! A house whose owner is my mother is gifted to her by his…

I need your advice in the following issue or please suggestion the right procedure to…

Documentation Lawyers in India

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Anuj Aggarwal

  Model Town, Phase 3
 Experience: 13 years

Advocate Amit Sharma

 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Srishti Saxena

  Guru Apartments, Dwarka
 Experience: 6 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly