×

queswhat is a contract marriage?

Can you please help me knowing what actually contract marriage is? Is contract marriage similar to normal hindu marriages?

• ansThank you for posting your query. Contract marriage is a marriage done with specific terms. Say for example a marriage done for a specific time i.e. 1 year or so and after that the marriage stands dissolved. This concept exists in Islam and is enumerated in their personal laws.

However there is no concept of contract marriage under the Hindu Law. Although over the years the concept of Hindu Marriage being a Sacrament has dissolved a bit, still it is far from being a contract. So a contract marriage is absolutely different from the normal Hindu Marriage.