quesWhat are the documents required for marrying a foreigner?

I am getting married to a Romanian citizen...and plan to live in Europe after marriage...my question is what document we would need to register the marriage in India...plus what would expect the process Romanian it is ensure along with OCT card... FYI. ..I am divorced. ...

  • ans

    If you are citizen of India, then you can register your marriage under Special Marriage Act.

    The documents required for registration is as under:

    Application form / Notice duly filled and signed by the bride and the groom.

    •    Documentary evidence of date of birth of both parties (Matriculation Certificate/ Passport/ Birth Certificate).

    •    Documentary evidence regarding stay in Delhi of one of the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO, Police Station).

    •    Separate affidavits from bride and groom giving: Date of birth, Present marital status: unmarried/widower/ divorcee, Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the degree of prohibited relationship defined in the Special Marriage Act, Citizenship, and Parties intent to marry with each others 

    •    Passport size photographs of both parties (3 copies each) duly attested by a Gazetted Officer.

    •    Copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.

    •    In case of a foreign national, a no objection certificate from the concerned Embassy regarding his / her present status.

    •    Some countries insist for proof of proceeding of civil marriage & marriageablity certificate of Indian fiancée before granting visa to a foreign national to visit / stay in India for marriage.

    •    Foreign national who intent to stay in India for long time after marriage should know before marriage about grant of citizenship of India and about profession / tax liability.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Documentation lawyers in India

Similar questions

how to change my dob in my certificates and how days will it take to…

 I have a 17 year old redevelopment agreement which my late father and the redeveloper…
I am planning to buy a low rise Villa in Greater Noida West. What due…
Dear sir..plz give a suggestion to marry a muslim girl and can i get marriage…

Documentation Lawyers in India

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Amit Sharma

 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Vishal V Birajdar

  Andheri West
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Anuj Aggarwal

  Model Town, Phase 3
 Experience: 13 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly