legal ownership of joint demat account
"A" and "B" are husband and wife and have two sons "C" and "D" "A" had a joint demat account with his wife "B". "A" dies without leaving a will. The contents of the demat account are transmitted by the bank to "B". "C" claims that under the Hindu Succession Act, he is a legal heir and is entitled to 1/3rd of the demat account contents. Question: What is the legal right of "C" 1) 0% - Since B is the Joint Holder. 2) 1/3rd - Since C is the legal heir. 3) 1/6th - Since B was always the absolute owner of 1/2 of the contents of the demat accounts, only "A" portion will be split between the legal heirs.
C has 1/3rd share of A , not whle of account but of half share of A as A being the joint holder of a/c with B , A and B have the half share divided between them. So in other words C is the 1/6th share holder of the whole a/c as you have rightly pointed out in your point number 3.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- I am also a victim along with my friend but he files a case againt me
- Can i claim as a legal heir for my uncle's property
- Maintanence during divorce notice period
- Right of sons in father's inherited property
- Want housing loan for a property what all documents are required