Indian lost all documents in foreign country how to get him to India
A person has lost all his documents and is presently in a foreign country. What would be the procedure to get him back to India?
The first thing you have to do is to find your nearest Indian mission in that country and get going as early as possible.
All Indian missions abroad provide what is called as Emergency Certificate which is a one-way travel document that authorizes an Indian citizen to enter India in an emergency. Emergency Certificate is issued to individuals who have lost their passports; their passports have been stolen or damaged. Emergency Certificate is issued only when a new passport cannot be issued without approval from India.
The applicant must apply in person at the Consulate as the personal interview is mandatory. The application cannot be mailed. Consular Officer's decision regarding the application will be final. An Emergency Certificate can be issued only when the individual's Indian nationality is confirmed.
If an individual is under deportation or under orders of deportation, the application should be submitted through the Deportation Officer of USCIS/Department of Homeland Security. The Emergency Certificate will be delivered to the agency concerned and not to an agent or third party.
Please note that this service is not (repeat NOT) available by mail and you have to come in person for submission of the application, interview with Consular Officer and for collection of ready Emergency certificate.
Please note that EC for one month validity is being issued and you have to travel to India before its expiry.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Driver caused injury to a motorcyclist police inquiring me what to do.
- How to get divorce from a non supporting husband? Take family's side.
- How is a divorce case filed by mutual consent?
- INCREMENT or Promotion for Maternity Duration?
- Pension not being paid after rendering 17 years of service