How can I change my surname? What are the legal formalities?
I want to add Khanna to my name (surname). Please let me know the legal formalities for this.
For change of name one has to get an affidavit prepared stating reasons for change of name and also the new name. Then the same needs to be published in two newspapers having wide circulation in your area, preferably one in English and other is the local language.
After due publication the same has to be published in gazette for notification with appropriate forms, fees and documents for publication.
After publication in gazette the new name comes into force and request for change of name can be made in all appropriate offices.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Company has put false allegations and now asking for money
- Alterations made in the flat purchased by father, landlord evicting us
- Husband not giving maintenance how to get same for self and child
- Documents required for getting education loan to study abroad
- Boy refusing marriage after engagement what can be done