Can a foreigner buy property in India?
Is it possible for foreign people to buy property in India and be the owner of the property?
Foreign citizens of Non-Indian origin (whether resident in India or not) and foreign companies including trusts, societies and associations incorporated/ registered abroad will be permitted by Reserve Bank, on application, to acquire immovable property in India, provided the following conditions are satisfied :-
1) The property to be purchased is for residential use only.
2) The consideration for purchase of the property is met out of foreign exchange remitted from abroad in any convertible currency through normal banking channels.
3) Income accruing by way of rent from the property purchased, or the sale proceeds of such property/income arising out of investment of such sale proceeds at any future date shall be credited only to the Ordinary Non-resident Rupee (NRO) account of the non-resident purchaser.
Applications for necessary permission for purchase of immovable property in India should be made in form IPI together with the documents indicated therein to the Chief General Manager, Exchange Control Department, (Foreign Investment Division-III), Reserve Bank of India, Central Office, Mumbai 400 001.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Is there time limit to file for maintenance under section 125 of Crpc?
- Made two will which will is a valid will
- How to get property documents done for a old housing property
- Non receipt of Full & Final Settlements and Provident Fund.
- how to recover fee for designs used by clients