Wife mentally sick, not wiling to take medicines. What should i do?
My wife is mentally sick and she is also not wiling to take medicines for the same or consult a doctor. What can i do in such a scenario? Can i force her take medicine or can i divorce her on this ground?
You cannot force anyone to take medicine against the person's will. However mental illness or unsound mind is definitely a ground for divorce under section 13(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. It is advisable to approach an advocate and go for a contested divorce on the ground of unsound mind in the appropriate court.
Advocate Kasturi SharmaKeshavpuram, Delhi
You can file for divorce under Section 13 of teh Hindu Marriage Act. For attracting section 13(1)(iii), either of the following two conditions have to be fulfilled.
1. The respondent should be incurably of unsound mind.
2. The respondent should have been suffering continuously or intermittently from mental disorder of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably by expected to live with the respondent.
So far as the second condition is concerned, you will have to prove two elements, namely, mental disorder and at the same time that the disease must be of such a kind and to such an extent that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent.
So, proof of one element is insufficient to grant a decree.
Advocate Mishika SinghLajpat Nagar 1, Delhi
It is advisable that you all take medical help may be a psychiatrist who can help get with taking medicines.
Cruelty is a ground for divorce. if you think that her behavior by not consuming medicines is cruelty for you...then you can divorce her on that ground.
Advocate Sonia SainiDwarka, Delhi
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Property divided among legal heir without giving my share
- Cricket betting website in India.
- Invested in a company turn out to be fraud what legal options I have
- Rights of major couple to rent a room for personal room
- bua's son claiming bua's property sold by me via Power of Attorney