quesWife left house and now wants maintenance.

My wife left house around 3 months back and never wanted to come back. She was persuaded and motivated by her family members to do so. She earlier told for mutual divorce. later when my parents spoke to her guardian they agreed to it but later she refused and is asking for maintenance and she and her lawyer threatened me that if I don't pay they will file DV case against me and do nasty things. She is working and my salary is only slightly more than her. Also i have my parents who are above 60 years of age to take care and we are not in position to pay maintenance.Is filing a case of mental cruelty the best option. If yes, how much time it would take for her to receive the notice from court. If we file the case first what counter measures she can take. She is threatening to put false allegations on me.

  • ansMaintenance would not be problem here but any action from your side would have a reaction from her. The apprehension is that if you file a divorce petition, or a petition for restoration of conjugal rights, she would get an advice to file a counter case under section 498A of IPC. Further you said that she does not want to consent to a mutual divorce, it may take years to get rid of her if she contests the same. Wait a while and try to get evidence to defend any apprehended false allegations against you. You have not mentioned the reason for her hostile behavior. If there are no serious differences try to reconcile with her.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi Experts, my divorce petition was based on cruaility which was dismissed by judge.. now…

What is the procedure for divorce by mutual consent?

I was ordered to give maintenance to wife which I didn't pay court issued arrest…

sir,My husband has filed a divorce case.But I love him and want to stay together.Can…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly