quesWife below 18 yrs at the time of marriage. I want divorce. What to do?

I have been married for less than a year & I want to take a Divorce from my wife. This is not a mutual divorce. My wife's age was 17 years at the time of marriage and I have proofs for this. So, what is the procedure and how can I go about it?


  • ans


    There are contradictory High Court judgement on this aspect depending upon the facts of each case. While Delhi High Court had upheld a child marriage where both the husband and wife had consented to the same, the Madras High Court in a different case had held the opposite. The Madras High Court had held that a marriage with a minor is void. 


    Therefore, we suggest that you can file a petition for annulment of marriage on the grounds that your wife was a minor at the time of marriage and this fact was concealed from you and that you became aware of this fact after marriage.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

European lady, holder of foreign passport and PIO CARD , Home maker, married to Indian…

How to prove that the husband and wife are living separately from the last 3…
I am planning to file for judicial separation. I was working abroad before thereafter i…

Hello, am 27yr old working in a central govt organization, I love a colleague who…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly