quesWhat to do if wife refuses to give statement in 1st motion of divorce?

What should I do if my wife refuses to give her statement during the first motion of our mutual Divorce? We had applied for a mutual Divorce petition 2 months ago wherein the judge asked us to give our statement but my wife has been delaying / refusing the same and I feel my father in law is trying to now increase the settlement amount that has been agreed upon and hence delaying the things to harass me and get more in the settlement.


Should I withdraw the application and file for a petition on other grounds now? What should be done in such a situation?


  • ans


    Firstly, you cannot force your wife to give her statement in a petition for mutual divorce. She has the freedom to withdraw her petition or delay in giving the statement. Therefore the fact that she is delaying in giving her statement, you cannot do anything about it.


    It is suggested that you should withdraw the petition and file a petition under different grounds as enumerated under section 13(1) of the Hindu marriage act.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hello sir... My Husband has an affair before marriage and he lied to me when…

We married 4 months back on family pressure, we both don't love each other. we…
My brother is a CA and his income is 60,000. They are married for 1…
I am in relationship with any other girl. I got into relationship because I was…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly