quesWhat procedure to complaint against husband for domestic violence?

What is the punishment in India for domestic violence, in case injury has been caused. What is the procedure to proceed with the complaint?

  • ans

    Domestic Violence Act is a quasi civil proceeding, so there is no punishment, however you can seek compensation for cruelty and medical expenses.

    You will have to file an application under Section 12 of domestic violence act and seek monetary relief under Section 20 of the said Act.

    If you want to  take criminal action, then you can file a police complaint under Section 498 A at your nearest police station.

    If offence is proved your husband shall be pun­ished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine. 


    Click here to find the best divorce lawyer in your city.

  • ansHi,

    First go to police to lodge a complaint against your husband with brief of allegations in the form of application. Than approach your lawyer who will file a case under Domestic Violence Act against your husband to get relief as per the provisions of the said act.


    Mohan S.

    Advocate Mohan S

      Janakpuri, Delhi

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

My DV case is dismissed due to non-appearance of my wife. She has filed the…

I am a Hindu girl who got married to a Muslim boy in 1998. I…
If a man has done 2 marriages. One is done through rituals and one court…
I have sent couple of legal Notices which were rejected by my wife as I…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly