quesWhat procedure to complaint against husband for domestic violence?

What is the punishment in India for domestic violence, in case injury has been caused. What is the procedure to proceed with the complaint?

Domestic Violence Act is a quasi civil proceeding, so there is no punishment, however you can seek compensation for cruelty and medical expenses.

You will have to file an application under Section 12 of domestic violence act and seek monetary relief under Section 20 of the said Act.

If you want to  take criminal action, then you can file a police complaint under Section 498 A at your nearest police station.

If offence is proved your husband shall be pun­ished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine. 

Click here to find the best divorce lawyer in your city.

• ansHi,

First go to police to lodge a complaint against your husband with brief of allegations in the form of application. Than approach your lawyer who will file a case under Domestic Violence Act against your husband to get relief as per the provisions of the said act.

thanks

Mohan S.

Advocate Mohan S

Janakpuri, Delhi