What procedure to complaint against husband for domestic violence?
What is the punishment in India for domestic violence, in case injury has been caused. What is the procedure to proceed with the complaint?
Domestic Violence Act is a quasi civil proceeding, so there is no punishment, however you can seek compensation for cruelty and medical expenses.
You will have to file an application under Section 12 of domestic violence act and seek monetary relief under Section 20 of the said Act.
If you want to take criminal action, then you can file a police complaint under Section 498 A at your nearest police station.
If offence is proved your husband shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall also be liable to fine.
Click here to find the best divorce lawyer in your city.
First go to police to lodge a complaint against your husband with brief of allegations in the form of application. Than approach your lawyer who will file a case under Domestic Violence Act against your husband to get relief as per the provisions of the said act.
Advocate Mohan SJanakpuri, Delhi
File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- loan given to a friend but cannot file case as don't have address
- Grandfather property sold by son without giving share can we file case
- Validity of Divorce Decree Obtained
- Vendor Breaking banakhat and not handing over flat
- Does a girl have right in her in-laws property, if husband has none?