What are my rights over my husband's assets?
I am a goan roman catholic married to a RC goan settled in mumbai. We got married in 1998 in goa. I am planning to file for divorce. I wish to know if i have any rights over the husband or his fathers assets in mumbai. He had bought a flat for us in mumbai a year after getting married. I am presently staying in Goa with my son since the last 5 years.
As per the existing law in India you have no right over the movable or immovable property of either your husband or father-in-law. The only right which you and your son enjoy is the right to claim maintenance from your husband. In addition to claiming maintenance from his father your son can also claim a share in the ancestral property, if any, of your husband.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- What legal option available to me to get money or land back ?
- Procedure to form a housing society
- How can i change the name of my son?
- How long to wait after ex party divorce to remarry? Can girl appeal
- Can a social organization provide a online platform for its members