quesWhat action can my wife take if she has returned to her parents home

I have been married for 5 years and after some minor issues 3 months ago my wife went to her parents home. What all legal actions can she take? How can I safeguard myself?

  • ans

    The following are the legal actions your wife can take against you :

    1. She can file a case under section 498 A which deals with harassment depending on how long have you been married.There are other offences she can accuse you off.

    2. She can file a case for divorce against you and  can claim for maintenance.

    The way you can safeguard yourself is if you wish to get separated from your wife you can file a divorce case before she goes ahead.

    Else if you don't want a divorce you can file case for restitution of conjugal rights.

    Assuming you are hindus,

    You can file a case under section 9 of the hindu marriage act which deals with restitution of conjugal rights.

    Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 has been explained below for your understanding:

    Section 9. 

    Restitution of conjugal rights - When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly.



  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

To file a maintenance case what the requirements we need to meet i.e., is there…

My name is pooja i ask question against my aunt. my aunt her divorce in…

I want to know about my share in husband's salary. How much am I entitled…

Hi My husband and my self got married 3 and half years ago. We have…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly