×

quesValidity of GPA post divorce.

I purchased a property in Delhi in the year of 2002 jointly along with my ex-husband. Subsequently we got divorced last year (in February 2011). As part of the divorce settlement my ex-husband transferred his 50% share in the property to my 19-year-old daughter (she stays with me) through a registered gift deed. The society subsequently transferred the share in my daughter's name in the share certificate. Now I want to sell this property and relocate to another city. At the time of purchase of this property an irrevocable GPA (General Power of Attorney) was issued through which I gave power of attorney to my ex-husband to execute all legal activities on behalf of me including sale of the property. My question is whether the general power of attorney (GPA) will still be considered as a valid one even after divorce and legal transfer of his share to the daughter? As I am the Principal can I revoke this GPA? Can I ignore the GPA and sell the property? What legal step do you advise to enable myself to sell this property without any hassle?

• ansPower of attorney executed by you in favor of your husband would continue to be valid as far as your 50% share in property is concerned even after divorce. You can revoke the power of attorney given to your husband.