Taking divorce from wife. Am i liable to pay alimony that she wants?
If I am the one seeking divorce out of me and my wife, will I still be liable to pay her the alimony that she wants? After been married for 3 years my wife left me 11 months ago. She is working and we have a 2 year old child. Now she just doesn't want to come back.
We have had no contact, of any sort, for the past 11 months now. There is nothing left between us and I clearly want a Divorce.
In this situation we would recommend that you should speak to your wife and jointly move a petition for divorce by mutual consent. The benefit of this is that you both can agree on the terms and conditions of the divorce and be divorced within 6 months.
If she doesn't agree for divorce by mutual consent then you shall have to file your case under the other heads of Section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act to seek divorce. (We can guide you in this aspect, once you provide us with the facts in detail)
Even if you are the one seeking divorce, you are liable to pay maintenance to your wife, however as you have stated that she is working, therefore the Court shall give due consideration to the same while deciding the maintenance amount. The idea behind maintenance is to restore the women to the financial condition she was living in before the divorce, so in case you can prove that she doesnt require maintenance then you can reduce the amount to as little as possible.
Furthermore, you shall also have to file a petition for the custody of your 2 year old child and in case this is decided in her favour, then you will be liable to pay for the maintenance of your child as well.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Wife talks rudely, disrespects what can be done
- Original Property documents lost where can i obtain a copy of it
- Can I file for mutual divorce after 2 and a half years of marriage?
- Contract for 3 years can I leave my job and join some where else
- Can the petition be filed directly in supreme court