Should my mother retain her share in ancestral property
Our ancestral property was inherited from my grandfather. My father expired in 1996. Me and my brother want to divide our inherited property. My mother was illtreated by my sister in law and she does not want my mother to have a 1/3rd share of property which she is legally entitled to and this property be divided between me and my brother. My mother wants to keep her property thinking about the future.
The problem now is that my sister in law and my brother are not ready to do the partition as they think that my mother's death would get them a 50% naturally. At the same time they fear that my mother would mention the property in my name before her death.
What should my mother do? Without the partition, is my mother entitled to gift her 1/3rd share of property to anyone or can she approach the court and while the case is pending in the court can she request the court as to whom her property should go to?
We are 2 married brothers and our mother. My mother is a senior citizen.
On what basis do you claim that the property is ancestral? If it was a self acquired property of your grand father it cannot be regarded as an ancestral property. Did your grand father leave any will? How did property devolve on your mother?
Apart from that as per the limited facts provided by you, we believe that your mother is absolutely right. She should retain her 1/3rd share without any conditions.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Transfer of property from mother to daughter
- In-laws and husband asking me to give them my salary - is it legal?
- Sister denied to give ownership of property what can be done
- Maintenance charges when the premises is less than even 500 sq.ft
- Case decided in favor of my son. How much time allowed for appeal