quesshould i have marriage certificate to apply for divorce?

should i have marriage certificate to apply for divorce

Marriage registration certificate is not a pre-requisite for filing a divorce application. you must furnish  marriage photos and cards with the application.

The application must be filed in the court where the marriage was solemnized or where the parties last resided together or where the person filing is currently residing. 

• ansRegistration of Marriage is mandatory as per law. But it is not strictly followed in family court while applying for divorce. So even if your marriage is not registered still you can apply for divorce.

Advocate Jagadish N

Adugodi, Bangalore

• ansproof of marriage, such as Wedding invitation card and joint photographs would be mandatory for applying for divorce, not the marriage certificate.
    I am guessing that you are filing the divorce petition jointly, in which case both husband and wife must be present at the time of filing.

Advocate Kiran N Murthy

Indiranagar, Bangalore

• ansMarriage registration certificate is not a pre-requisite for filing a divorce application. you must furnish marriage photos and cards with the application. The application must be filed in the court where the marriage was solemnized or where the parties last resided together or where the person filing is currently residing.

Advocate Praneeta Sharma

Saiyad Ul Ajaib, Delhi