×

quesResident of UAE filing a divorce

My daughter is an Indian woman staying in UAE with her Indian husband. Her marriage took place 4 years back in India. They have some serious compatibility problems and have decided to get separated. Can they apply for a divorce in UAE? Or should they file an application in an Indian court? Will a UAE court order granting divorce be valid in India? Which course is better and faster?.

• ansPetition for divorce can be filed in the country where husband-wife are residing and such decrees are recognized by courts in India if both parties are domiciled at the same place, the Court where petition is filed should be a court of competent jurisdiction, both parties should be clearly represented in the proceedings and there should not be any possibility of making allegation by either party that the decree was obtained by fraud. Taking into account above factors, a petition for divorce can be filed in UAE.