quesProcedure, formalities and time required for mutual divorce?

What is the process and time required for a Mutual Divorce? It's been 3 years of marriage and me and my wife are fed up of each other. What all formalities are required for the same and what all is included in the petition? 


  • ans

    Assuming you both are Hindus, Mutual Divorce is recognized under Section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act.

    Section 13B states that the parties can jointly move a petition for dissolution of marriage by a decree of divorce in the District Court on the ground that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more, that they have not been able to live together and that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

    The Court shall then record the joint statement of the Parties and pass a First Motion order giving time of 6 months to the parties to resolve their dispute. 

    However, in case the parties are unable to resolve the issues within the stipulated time, the Court shall pass a decree of Divorce. So therefore, divorce by mutual consent takes about 6-7 months.

    You shall have to enter into a settlement agreement with your wife with respect to the distribution of assets, alimony/ Maintenance, custody of children (if there are any) etc.

    The legal formalities are basically the Settlement Agreement and filing of the Petition. In this Petition you shall have to state the details about your marriage and the reason as to why you both wish to get divorced. You also need to attach the proof of marriage along with annexures.

    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Since before marriage my husband having affair with other lady who is prostitute. I came…

I and my second cousin are in a relationship since last three years. ..he is…

Hi, I have filed null n void case against my spouse as she didn't disclose…
My brother in law is having an extra maritial affair and his Mom, Wife and…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly