quesPhysically abusive wife. Threatens to file false case. What can I do?

My wife abuses me physically and verbally and also threatens me that if I will touch her she will call the Police and get me arrested in a false dowry case. I want a divorce from my wife. I have never used a single rupee that belongs to her.


Infact the car that she got with her, I have never used that in 4 years. Please help me. Its getting worse by each day. She hit my mummy today.


What to do?


  • ans

    In view of your circumstances, if you need you can file for a Divorce on grounds of Cruelty inflicted by your wife under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, detailing therein the cruelty and torture meted out to you and your family at the hands of your wife. 


    Further you can also lodge a complaint with the concerned Police Station about the injuries / physical abuse / physical violence sustained by you / and / or your family at the hands of your wife.


    In case your wife wants to file a Dowry case against you and your family, the fact that you have not taken any money from her and have not used the car she brought along as Dowry does not stop her from filing the Dowry charges against you and your family, and she may press these charges on the ground that you and your family accepted / asked for Dowry – which is an offense under the Indian Penal Code.


    We would suggest that before your wife initiates any false or frivolous action against you, you should immediately approach the Police or the Court to protect your and your family's interest.


    Specific instances and details of the physical violence meted out by your wife to you and your family will make your complaint stronger to the Police and will be a strong evidence of Cruelty when you file the Petition for Divorce under Section 13(1) (ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

My husband deserted me after 1 year of marriage by saying I am mentally unfit.…

Is it possible to change my divorce petition and file for mutual divorce instead?


My wife is not staying with me properly. She always wishes to go to her…
After filing mutual consent my wife left abroad.we have an agreement of 650000 amount for…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly
View in App
Get Upto 40% Off