quesNeed to Divorce my husband. He is physically abusive.

I have been married since 4 yrs and have been mentally and physicaly harassed by my husband since then. My family dsn't support me as they say every husband is same. But I have reached the saturation point of baring all this ans now want to divorce him. I have no children yet.

Is it possible to take divorce etven if my own family is not supporting? If yes, how and what measures should I take? our mrg is registered in chandigarh court.

  • ans

    First of all, we suggest you to draft a complaint in writing and get it registered at the nearest police station under section 498A of the Indian penal code and under the protection of women from domestic violence Act.

    Further, incase you  want to seek divorce from your husband you can file divorce petition under Section 13 (1)(i)(a) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955(assuming you are a Hindu).

    With respect to your second question on maintenance, you shall be liable to get alimony / maintenance from your husband  under Section 125 CrPC as well as Section 24 of the HMA during the pendency of your Divorce proceedings.
     However the above mentioned procedure  is  a lengthy process and will consume a lot of your time. 

    The other option available for you is to file a Mutual Consent divorce under Section 13 B of Hindu Marriage Act 1955. But this is only possible if your husband is willing to give you a divorce as well. So you will have to enter in a MOU /agreement with your husband wherein you will have to specify the terms of your divorce such as alimony/maintenance and custody of your children. This process is faster and cost effective.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

A woman without divorce forcely signed me on notary paper. Now she lodge an FIR…
My son got married in 2014 May, then she left for abu dabhi in Aug…

Hi, A Friend of mine is married for 12 years and have son aged 11.…

Love marriage hai pyar me andhi thi shadi ke bad pata chala both kidney r…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly