quesneed mutual divorce under special marriage act - wife is a muslim

We need a mutual Divorce and my wife is a muslim. We got married 1 year ago under Special Marriage Act. What is the procedure and how much time does it take?

  • ans

    Under sec. 28 of the Act, which primarily deals with the provisions relating to obtaining a divorce by mutual consent in respect of a marriage solemnized and/or registered under the Act, a petition for divorce by mutual consent may be presented to the District Court. A few key points to be considered while seeking a divorce by mutual consent are as follows:

    1. A petition for divorce must be presented to the District Court by both parties together.

    2. The petition must be on the grounds,

    that they have been living separately for a period of one year or more,
    that they have not been able to live together, and
    that they have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.
    3. The petition may be presented only after one year from the date of entering the certificate of marriage in the Marriage Certificate Book. However, relaxation may be provided in cases where exceptional hardship is suffered by the petitioner or in cases of exceptional depravity on the part of the respondent.

    4. The petition seeking divorce by mutual consent could be presented to a District Court, within whose jurisdiction, either,

    the marriage was solemnized,
    the respondent resides, or in case the wife is the petitioner, where she is residing,
    the parties to the marriage last resided together, or
    the petitioner resides, in cases where the respondent is residing outside the territories to which the Act extends.
    5. Between 6 months after, and within 18 months of, the date of presentation of the petition seeking divorce by mutual consent, both parties must make a motion together seeking grant of a decree of divorce.

    6. Before passing a decree of divorce, the District Court considers the following, among other aspects:

    that the petition has not been withdrawn yet,
    that a marriage has been solemnized under the Act,
    that the averments in the petition are true,
    that consent for divorce has not been obtained by force, fraud or undue influence
    that there has not been any unnecessary or improper delay in instituting the proceedings.
    Thus, the provisions and the procedure for obtaining divorce by mutual consent under the Special Marriage Act are fairly simple and straight forward.

    Parties desirous of obtaining a divorce by mutual consent, must however keep in mind that the Act also contains provisions dealing with grant of alimony and maintenance, both permanent and during the pendency of the proceedings. In the cases of divorce by mutual consent, the parties may agree upon the terms relating to payment of alimony or maintenance and the same may be incorporated in the pleadings before the Court. However care has to be taken that suitable provisions are incorporated in the pleadings to avoid future misunderstandings or litigation. It is therefore advisable that, while discussing the various issues connected with seeking a divorce by mutual consent with their advocates, the parties must specifically discuss their arrangement and agreement on alimony and maintenance, and take suitable steps to ensure that their interest is safeguarded.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I have recently purchased 1BHK in Vrindavan and got registered the same in the name…
I am a christian woman married to christian man on 2nd June 2010(Love-arranged marriage). We…
I am a hindu girl. I am married at my age 15 due to my…
After one month of living together, Husband told me for separation and is not sleeping…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly