×

queslegally wife and husband- even after separation

A hindu mother left her hindu husband and children and filed case in the court for maintenance from her husband while living separately. She was granted a sum amount by the court for her monthly maintenance. Just one or two years later she again filed a case in the court for maintenance enhancement. There also she got maintenance enhancement by sum amount. Is she still called legally wedded wife of the husband? Please clarify it.

• ansUnless and until divorce has officially taken place she continues to be the legally wedded wife of her husband. A claim for maintenance does not hamper the marital status.

The provision for judicial separation is contained in Section 10 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. The section reads as under: A decree for judicial separation can be sought on all those ground on which decree for dissolution of marriage, i.e. divorce can be sought.