quesIs wife's physical presence necessary for mutual divorce?

How can we file for a mutual Divorce without my wife's physical presence in Delhi. We have stayed in Delhi after marriage and my wife is in Bihar now. She will be unable to come to Delhi but is ready for a mutual Divorce.


How can we proceed with this?


  • ans


    A divorce by mutual consent is filled by both parties jointly and their joint statement is recorded in the court which is signed by both in the presence of their lawyers and the Family District Judge.


    This process is repeated twice, once when the joint petition is filled which is also called the first motion and after six months, which is referred to as the second motion. After this process is complete and the Judge is satisfied of the consent of both for a divorce and all issues like custody of child if any, permanent alimony and maintenance, issue relating to return of stridhan of the wife and settlement of jointly owned properties are sorted, the divorce is granted.


    However, in special circumstances, the Delhi and Punjab Courts have allowed a power of attorney for seeking divorce by mutual consent where for some reason, either of the parties were not able to be present at any one of the motion as discussed above.


    So, you have the option of filing the divorce through a power of attorney, however, you shall have to adduce sufficient cause as to why your wife is unable to appear for the proceedings and it is up to the Court to allow/deny the request.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action. 


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

actually my wife went to station given statement & applied a divorce. Its any trouble…
Hi, I had applied for mutual consent divorce in Sept 2016 and was granted divorce…
If a girl files divorce case.... then does she has right to take alimony and…
In mou my maintenance..stridhan ....alimony r settle excluding child maintenance... (A daughter...10yrs old) Now I…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly