quesIs settlement written on plain paper and signed by 2 witnesses valid?

Is a settlement agreement written on a plain paper signed by 2 witnesses valid in the court of law? I got married in July 2013 and after a few minor disputes, my wife moved to her parent's home 3 months ago. We both want to separate by mutual divorce but cannot apply before 1 year of marriage completion.


Now my wife and her father is willing to give the settlement in writing on a paper stating they are agreeing to mutual Divorce.


Will this benefit me anyhow later if they decide to change their mind and want to trouble me on some account?


  • ans


    Yes a settlement agreement signed by you and your wife shall have a legal nature if the same is drafted in a proper manner.


    You should enter into a Settlement Agreement with your wife specifying not only the fact that she agrees for a mutual divorce but also with respect to the other terms and conditions of the divorce. This should specify the distribution of assets such as stridhan etc., maintenance / alimony payable by you post divorce, that this amount would be a full and final payment and no party shall have any other rights as against the other party. And get this Agreement signed by 2 witnesses.


    Now once this Agreement is executed, and the payment has been made by you, then if your wife tries to back out (which is a common tactic used by wives to harass the husbands), you can present the settlement Agreement before the Competent Court seeking divorce by mutual consent. The Indian Courts have not allowed the women to harass their husbands once such settlement agreements have been executed. You kindly try to make some part payment in pursuance to this agreement that will bind her in law.


    However, if you are looking to find a provision that bars the women from changing her mind, then such a provision does not exist in the Indian Law as the Hindu law allows the parties to change their decision of divorce by mutual consent between the time period of First Motion order to Second Motion Order as well.


    Recently, a women after entering into a settlement agreement and filing a petition for first motion, decided to withdraw her consent and demanded more money, the Rajasthan High Court did not allow the women to harass her husband in this manner and the divorce decree was passed as per the original settlement agreement only.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I had marriage in Arya samaj mandir before 1 yr and 4 months but we…
In 9 years of my marriage from day first i find that my wife is…
I am 25 Years old girl, I was married on 28 Feb'17, its love marriage,…
My female friend (Right now staying independently at her in laws (i.e. husbands Fathers Own…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly