Is a live in relation legal if i am a married person?
I am married since 6 months and my wife is not living with me because she does not like me. She just likes my property and job (I am a software engineer).
Now I want to live with my girlfriend without marriage, and I heard that Supreme Court has ruled that live-in relationship is legal and not a crime. I want to know if a Live-in relationship between me and my girlfriend is legal for me after marriage?
To live in a live-in relatioship is legal, provided that you are not at the same time married to another woman. If you are married, though seperated / or not living with your spouse, and living with some other lady, you are living in adultery, which is a ground for divorce.
Now coming to your situation that your wife is not living with you, you can file a petition for divorce on various grounds as provided under the Hindu Marriage Act, provided you are able to prove those in the court of law.
However, you can also talk to your wife and if both of you are agreeable, then you can opt for divorce through mutual consent, but you have to wait for one year of seperation for the same.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Wife want divorce what can I do
- Legal Hiers of Property of Uncle
- How can we take back possession of our shop from our uncle
- Shimla High court rejected my writ petition after 4 years what to do
- Due to schools ignorance kid lost his eyesight what action can we take