quesInformal divorce causing hindrance in getting visa. What should i do?

My first marriage of 1.5 months is not registered. We separated informally through discussions. I made a passport during that time and as I did not have a marriage certificate, I stated my marital status as unmarried. We separated in 2011 and I remarried with a U.S citizen.


During registration and application of the VISA, I did not mention about my previous marriage. But during verification of my address, my aunt told the verification team about my first marriage. The embassy is now asking me about my first marriage and divorce papers.


What should I do?


  • ans


    Assuming you are a Hindu, your marriage will be governed by Hindu Marriage Act 1955. 


    First of all you have to specify the place and how your first marriage was solemnized.  


    Secondly, according to Hindu Marriage Act 1955, you can never separate informally and that there is proper procedure prescribed under Section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act of seeking divorce.


    Thirdly, for the process of marriage registration and Visa documentation you have to give an affidavit stating the status of your previous marriage or marital status. In case you have given a false information in the said affidavit then it is a grave offence and can be punishable.


    We suggest you to immediately appoint a lawyer who after examining the entire facts will suggest you further course of action.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I was divorced in 1998...I never got any financial help from my husband... I want…

7 months ago my husband sent me to my parents house by saying will come…
Me and wife are not living to stay together any more we want a mutual…
I am shahid 30 years old i m muslim i married a hindu girl and…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly