Informal divorce causing hindrance in getting visa. What should i do?
My first marriage of 1.5 months is not registered. We separated informally through discussions. I made a passport during that time and as I did not have a marriage certificate, I stated my marital status as unmarried. We separated in 2011 and I remarried with a U.S citizen.
During registration and application of the VISA, I did not mention about my previous marriage. But during verification of my address, my aunt told the verification team about my first marriage. The embassy is now asking me about my first marriage and divorce papers.
What should I do?
Assuming you are a Hindu, your marriage will be governed by Hindu Marriage Act 1955.
First of all you have to specify the place and how your first marriage was solemnized.
Secondly, according to Hindu Marriage Act 1955, you can never separate informally and that there is proper procedure prescribed under Section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act of seeking divorce.
Thirdly, for the process of marriage registration and Visa documentation you have to give an affidavit stating the status of your previous marriage or marital status. In case you have given a false information in the said affidavit then it is a grave offence and can be punishable.
We suggest you to immediately appoint a lawyer who after examining the entire facts will suggest you further course of action.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How action can we take if schools are increasing fee
- Neighbours troubling me and threatening me what action can i take
- Can mamledar give him permission to construct road from my land
- Previous company not giving NOC certificate.
- Wife want divorce what can I do