quesHusband in another state. Can i file divorce in the city where i stay?

Can I file a divorce case in the city where I am staying and working wherein parents and my husband are in UP? We’ve been married for 9 years and for the last 3 years my husband and I have been staying separately. I am working in Jaipur.


He does not have a job. When I ask for a Divorce, he beats me and says he will kill himself and abuses me. He says will make my life hell and will go underground if I file a Divorce case and will ensure that I do not get a Divorce from him.


What should I do?


  • ans


    Firstly, register a criminal complaint against your husband under Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code for cruelty and under the Domestic Violence Act in the nearest Police Station and the Crime Against Women Cell.


    Thereafter, you can initiate Divorce proceedings on the grounds of cruelty both physical and mental mentioned under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act. The Courts have held that the threats of committing suicide also amount to mental cruelty and Divorce can be sought on this ground.


    Yes, you can file the petition for Divorce in the place you are residing. After the amendment in the Act in 2002, the wife can present the petition for divorce in any of the following jurisdictions:


    1. Where marriage has taken place;


    2. Where the husband and wife started living soon after the marriage and prior to separation;


    3. Where the respondent is residing;


    4. Wife can also file a case from the place where she is residing after leaving matrimonial home.


    Your case comes within point no. 4, therefore you can file a petition for divorce in the place where you reside after leaving the matrimonial home i.e. Jaipur.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

am paying emi for my husband house which he says I lost my right in…

My Daughter in law left our house and her 13 year old marriage because my…

Dear sir.. I was having a relationship with girl whom i met 3 year before…
i got married as per Muslim traditions in Delhi two years before. I have one…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly