husband forcing me to stay with his parents, else threatens divorce
I got married around 4 years ago and my parents and my in laws were against the marriage. but now things are better and my in laws want us to get formally married again but asking us to spend all the expenses on marriage. also, my husband is forcing me to move in with his parents but I dont want to as we are both working and have been living independently. Now my husband is threatening me that he will divorce me if we do not move with his parents. what legal safeguard do I have against this? I dont want to live with his parents yet do not want a divorce also. What can I do if he files divorce?
Look whats more important is,
Whether your marriage is registered or not?
Was the marriage solemnized before was simply as pert the rituals or was duly registered?
If things are getting better , then my advice to you would be to go ahead with rituals that your family wants to redo. About the expenses you can always talk to your family about the same and make things work out.
Nuclear Family or Joint Family is the choice that you and your husband need to make and it cannot be forced on you. This ground on which your husband will pursue filing for divorce is not strong ground for Divorce.
You can continue staying in the present house because soon after your marriage if this was the house you moved in with your husband , automatically has attained the status of a matrimonial home.
If your husband files for divorce you have to contest the divorce proceeding and while those proceedings are pending you can file an application for interim injunction relating to your right to stay in the matrimonial and should not be evicted.At the same time you can tell the court during the divorce proceedings that you are not in favour of separation .
On the other hand you should always make an attempt and give your best to pacify things. In such a relationship decision cant be forced, A visit to a marriage Counsellor can be of help.
Also as a couple you can meet an advocate practicing Family Law who can give you a non biased overview of the whole situation if you go ahead on the legal streamline.
Click here to find the best Matrimonial lawyer in your city.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Booked a flat builder is a fraud how to cancel my booking
- Legal Rejected for Housing loan application
- Girl having a fake profile on a social networking site.
- Ancestral property sold fraudulently. can we claim our share?
- illegal termination from my school for highlighting a security lapse