quesHow to get abusive husband to pay maintenance every month?

I don't know what to do as my husband is really abusive and he beats me like anything sometimes. I have 2 daughters and if I leave my husband then I have to relocate at my mothers place & have to leave my job.


So what can I do to raise my children and also how can I ensure he provides for the maintenance for the children's education & living etc. every month?


  • ans


    We are sorry to hear about the atrocities being faced by you and your daughters at the hands of your husband.


    In such a scenario, you can claim various reliefs provided under Protection of Women against Domestic Violence Act inter-alia, maintainance, restraining orders, free ingress and egress as well as maintainance under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure.


    You and your daughters can seek maintenance under any of the two legislations. You shall be provided an interim maintenance till the time your petition for maintenance is finally adjudicated.


    You can also get registered a complaint for mental as well as physical cruelty against your husband under Section 498 A of the Indian Penal Code or Protection of Women Against Domestic Violence Act in the Crime Against Women Cell. 


    You can also if you want seek divorce from your husband on the ground of cruelty under the Hindu Marriage Act.


    Cruelty under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 has been explained below:


    Under Section 13(1)(ia) the term cruelty includes mental as well as physical cruelty. Mental cruelty has been elaborated upon by the Supreme Court of India to include:


    “Mental cruelty may consist of verbal abuses and insults by using filthy and abusive language leading to constant disturbance of mental peace of the other party. The Court dealing with the petition for divorce on the ground of cruelty has to bear in mind that the problems before it are those of human beings and the psychological changes in a spouse's conduct have to be borne in mind before disposing of the petition for divorce. However, insignificant or trifling, such conduct may cause pain in the mind of another. But before the conduct can be called cruelty, it must touch a certain pitch of severity. It is for the Court to weigh the gravity. It has to be seen whether the conduct was such that no reasonable person would tolerate it. It has to be considered whether the complainant should be called upon to endure as a part of normal human life. Every matrimonial conduct, which may cause annoyance to the other, may not amount to cruelty. Mere trivial irritations, quarrels between spouses, which happen in day-to-day married life, may also not amount to cruelty. Cruelty in matrimonial life may be of unfounded variety, which can be subtle or brutal. It may be words, gestures or by mere silence, violent or non-violent.”


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Can I convert to Islam from Hindu and go for a 2nd marriage without divorcing…

Dv case is filed against me by my ex wife who is not staying with…
My wife left my home and went to her home. She took away all her…
hi, I need some advice. We have given a complaint against my sister's inlaws and…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly